Thursday, November 13, 2014

Why London?




A lot of people ask me why London when I tell them I am going abroad for grad school. While the fact that I love the city, that isn't the only reason why I chose to move there for a year (and hopefully longer):


I'm a city person. I thrive in city environments. The energy of cities are addicting to me. I could never see myself living in the country or in the suburbs. Sure, visiting is nice, but I like to be where things are going on. London is one of the world's major cities, and makes for a perfect place for me, being a city person, to set roots into.

It's a great location for my degree. London couldn't be a more perfect city for my major of tourism management. London itself is such a tourism city, and it depends on tourism so much. The location of London within Europe is perfect as well. It is located in a great spot to travel to several different countries within a few hours, and for someone studying tourism, and addicted to travel this couldn't be better.

Public transportation. The public transit in London is some of the best I've ever been on. You have the Tube, as well as the buses. While the Tube does not run 24 hours (though certain lines will be running 24 hours a day in 2015) the buses however, do. Compared to the very limited public transit I use now, having a fairly reliable subway system and 24 hour buses are a dream.

History and culture. I personally love England and what it has to offer. England is one of my favorite countries, and always has been. I love the scenery and how green everything is as well as how much history England has. There are so many towns, villages and castles to explore and it seems there is some sort of historic significance everywhere you go.

While I do completely love London, the fact that I know I can get around and have access to all of Europe before me as well as living in a country that has so much history and so many new customs and cultural aspects only enhances my choice and want to study there.

Photo by me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment