Friday, November 28, 2014

Salzburg



I've been a bit absent from the blog for a few days (okay, weeks). Working 2 jobs, holiday stuff and school full time will do that to you. I'm also a bit in limbo waiting to hear back on something very, very exciting that I hope you will all get to hear about very soon. Stay tuned! 

I first visited Salzburg in 2012 on my 3rd trip abroad. I was only here for not even 24 hours. This was a quick day trip to Austria while I was in Munich. We squeezed in mere hours in Salzburg between travels to Paris, Germany and back to Paris again. 

I don't have much knowledge of the city of Salzburg, though I know it is beautiful. A must visit for any Sound of Music fans (I had not seen the film until days before I had left as my mom insisted I watch it before I left for Austria), though you will still find Salzburg to be enchanting even if you haven't seen the film. One of my favorite parts were the pedestrian only shopping streets steeped in history. You can shop in a variety of stores and pass by the birthplace of Mozart in one go.

This above photo was taken when I reluctantly decided to climb to the top of the fortress that overlooks Salzburg. It is a climb in itself, but the view from the top was worth it. We meant to explore the fortress only, but found the spots for amazing views on accident. I reminisce quite often of the giant chess board that lays itself out in the shadow of the fortress inviting all to play. Eating ice cream in February and watching others play chess while watching the sun set not wanting to leave is something I feel will repeat itself the next time I visit Salzburg. I would love to visit Salzburg again simply to see more of it as I had such a short visit this time. 

A bit of a sad week for me as a favorite professor of mine recently passed away. He was a mentor for myself, and always fiercely encouraged me to travel. I had only just reached out to him via email mere weeks ago updating him on my life, what he meant to me, and all of my future plans to live abroad and travel as much as I can. He told me even now, at his age there are still so many places he would like to see. Sadly now he will never have that chance, and I supposed I have taken it upon myself to fulfill that dream for him by seeing as many places as I can. I will try my very hardest to make him proud, though in some ways I feel I already have.




0 comments:

Post a Comment