Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The "Right" Path

In late 2012, I made the decision to leave my current public university, one semester shy of graduation to move out of state to a private university because I wanted to switch my major to Travel/Tourism.

It was a huge risk, and still is. Only recently I've started to say 'it's been worth it so far' and have believed it.

This decision was a huge risk because I didn't know if I was doing the right thing. Maybe I should stay and finish my degree and try to get a job, a bi-weekly paycheck, a 9-5 cubicle. That's what most people view as 'success.' Make money, pay off loans...whatever.

Some people didn't care that I hated my degree. I wasn't proud to have it, and I knew that whatever job I ended up in, if I could even get a job, would have made me incredibly unhappy.

So in changing my degree I have gained internships and experience, been to South America and soon South Africa, and am pursuing grad school and living abroad. Would I have done any of this if I had stayed where I was? Absolutely not.

In pursuing grad school I am once again faced with another huge risk. Probably the biggest risk thus far in my life. And sometimes I wonder if it will be worth it, if it will pay off.

Those times when the crippling fear of debt seems to consume me, seemingly out of nowhere something about London comes up and it reminds me: this is going to work. You're going down the right path. You are doing the right thing.

Maybe it's a sign, or maybe I'm just making it up in my head. Though I know choosing what I really want, and pursuing my own path in my own life has taken me to some incredible places so far, so I'm going to continue to go down my own path and see where it leads me.

September. London and a one way ticket. Let's see where it takes me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment