Saturday, January 24, 2015

A Life In London



As excited as I am to move to London, I'm actually looking forward to settle into a routine there. Sure, the first few weeks I will be on that high of having just moved, the honeymoon phase of moving if you will. I'm very much looking forward to, after a few months, having a routine in the city. I think one reason why is the thought of living in London and building a routine there, going to some of the same places each day or week, getting used to the idea of being there, is something I never thought I'd get to experience, so it means something to me. Here are some things I'm looking forward to in my London life:

Baker Street/Madame Tussuads. This will be a part of my routine because my campus is located here. I take the Tube to the Baker Street stop (I have been here in the past; I'm sure I passed my building before without even knowing!) then my building is right across from Madame Tussauds wax museum. It'll be pretty cool to be greeted by the green domed building each time I exit my classes.

Starbucks. While I don't hope to make this a frequent part of my routine as Starbucks is expensive (especially in London with the prices in pounds), I imagine it's a place I'll stop once in awhile. I always seem to find my local Starbucks wherever I live, and London will be no different. I know there is one near where I live, which is convenient, but I'm going to try to stop there only when I absolutely have to to try and save some money.

Riding the tube. I know many Londoners have a love/hate relationship with the Tube, however I happen to love it. Coming from a city with an unreliable bus system, having a widespread, efficient underground transit system is like heaven. Each morning I'll have class I'm looking forward to walking to my Tube stop, Victoria, riding it to class and getting off at the Baker Street stop where my campus is.

Buckingham Palace. Possibly one of the most exciting things in my routine...weekly walks past the palace. I'll be living less than a mile from here and am going to try to walk around the area (even with the hoards of tourists) even if I have to go a bit out of my way, simply because I want to soak up the fact that I am practically neighbors to the Queen. I want to relish in the fact I live so closely to a famous monument that practically every visitor to London comes to see.

Regent's Park. A 5 minute walk from my campus, Regent's Park is one of the many parks of London dubbed 'the lungs of London'. Being so close to my campus I'm looking forward to spending many an hour in this park, walking around, taking in the relative quiet and open spaces. On days where the weather permits, I'm hoping to do some reading for my classes in this park before I head off to class for the day.

St. James Park. Another one of London's beautiful parks, this time located a few minutes from my building of residence. I've actually never been in this park before, so I'm looking forward to morning walks in the park, coffee in hand, exploring the park and catching glimpses of the top of the London Eye along the way. I think I'll enjoy living to close to this park most in autumn when the trees start to change all sorts of colors and I can surrounded by my most favorite season of the year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment