Sunday, October 26, 2014

309

I've been starting to count down the days until September of 2015. I guess it's enough that I can actually have this to countdown to; to know that each day that passes means it's one day closer to me leaving. At the same time, over 300 days to go until September seems like an eternity. 

Lately some people involved in my life have made some pretty questionable decisions, which is hard to sit by and watch. A positive of that is that I feel so grateful and lucky to be able to have this oppurtunity to pursue my education further, to live in my favorite city in the world and to travel around my favorite continent. For years this is what I have craved so badly. It's what I have wanted so much and there are very few things that would stop me from doing this. For me, a constant goal for me was to live in central London, do something I love and just travel. Travel is not a luxury to me; it is a necessity. It is something that I have to do, or else I'm sure I'd go insane. Staying stagnant in one place, or even one country seems hellish to me. I've been in my current city for just over a year and a half, and now with the impending move to London, I am restless and anxious. It feels like torture to wait a year to finally get to where I want to be, to where I have worked so hard to get to. To be so close to achieving something, to have it dangling in front of me...but wait, you cannot grasp it yet. 

School and various things keep me distracted for the most part. Future trips I am planning also keep me distracted because I know I'll be able to quench the thirst of my desire to travel. Even with distractions, the want and need for London creeps its way in and seems to weave itself like a thread through my daily life and routine. 

I try to tell myself that having this opportunity is an incredible feat - one that I couldn't have pictured for myself just a few years ago. I dreamt of it, sure, but they were just dreams; no basis in my reality. It makes me feel incredibly lucky to have worked so hard and gotten here, to have the chance to pursue my dream, my ultimate goal. So many people I know cannot, or will not pursue what they want for varying reasons. Or they live a life they simply live because they feel obligated to, not because they want to. I am so grateful for my travels, because traveling has opened by eyes to so many things and has made me into who I am. It has showed me what I truly want, and to sacrifice things along the way, but in the end, it is worth it. 

I have never pursued a traditional path in anything. Not while I was young, not in college, not in my impending graduation. While other people seemingly have a checklist...4 years in college, meet someone, fall in love, get engaged, get married, buy a house...I have never seen the solace in that for myself. Those are not wants for myself in the present, they feel like obligations in place by our society that I have no interest in. I am focusing wholly on myself, and what I want. I am allowing myself to be completely selfish, to fill myself with all of my ambitions and the determination to achieve them. 

Knowing this, it is no wonder I have such an intense desire to leave, and leave now. I just want to surround myself with everything I love, everything I crave, everything I need.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." 

7 comments:

  1. I would love to have a way to follow you on your journey, have you joined bloglovin? or have a twitter?? Good luck!
    xx - Ashley

    find me here! ashleyinadventureland.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a twitter: It's @stormsatsea! I will have to add buttons to link to my other social media accounts and I'll have to join BlogLovin as well

      Delete
  2. That is so exciting you're moving to London! I am trying to move to Europe next year but I won't find out until around April or May. I totally understand how you feel :) I don't get people that live in the same place their whole life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am very excited! Argh that is the WORST having to wait so long! Living abroad I know will be such an enriching experience; I don't know why everyone doesn't do it!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Yesterday I found your blog and I really liked your posts! Congratulations on being accepted at an university in London! You'll see the time will fly and soon you will be in London :) I went there a few weeks ago and even though I was there for less than 3 days I loooved the city. Now I was even thinking about doing a masters degree there too. Was it too hard the application process? What about the tuition fees? I've heard they're very expensive (I mean, expensive for European standards, not American).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My very first trip to London was 4 days, but I just knew I had to live there someday. I applied via UKPass which wasn't too hard. There were a few parts that confused me about the process, but I found a post from another blog that was SO helpful in the application process that I'd be happy to link you to if you'd like. Tuition fees are probably more than the rest of Europe because of the pound exchange rate, but as an American the tuition fees are much cheaper in the UK even with the exchange rate. I would do some research on that, as I'm not too sure. I'd research schools throughout Europe and the UK and get an idea of what the fees are. Good luck!

      Delete