Sunday, May 3, 2015

My First Solo Travel Experience


 Boston Logan airport, ready to fly solo. 

 When I went to London a 2 months ago (I can't believe it's been a 2 months already!) it was my very first trip flying solo. In the past, I've always traveled with friends or a group, but this time I was going it alone. Also, I didn't have much planned where as in my pervious travels it seemed like every minute was planned for. So when I left for my trip knowing this time would be completely different from the past, I was pretty scared, not going to lie.

I was afraid of getting around and finding my way through London. I have a horrible sense of direction and always get lost. I was afraid of navigating the tube. I was afraid of having to get from Heathrow into London. I was afraid of staying in a hostel with strangers and afraid of being bored or lonely. I was pretty much terrified of all of it, and yet still got on the plane. And through my visit I realized something: every single thing I was afraid of? I conquered it. Everything I had feared before going seems so silly now. While there were some bumps along the way, I still came back to the U.S. in one piece and so proud of myself that I had taken on my first trip abroad completely alone.

I've read countless articles about why women should travel solo, and that every woman should do it at least once in there lives. I definitely agree with this, and while it was difficult at times being abroad alone, I am so glad I did it because I needed to have that experience. I can't imagine moving in September without having gone on this trip. If I hadn't gone, my adjustment into the UK would have been a lot more difficult. I needed to figure out the tube and how it works, I needed to get lost (countless of times) and figure out how to not be lost,  and I needed to be able to plan out and do what I wanted by myself. I needed this experience to become more independent; something I struggled with here in America.

My solo experience wasn't all amazing but it wasn't all horrible either. The first few days were hard. It was a big adjustment for me to wake up and decide what I wanted to do and where I wanted to go without consulting a friend or group. London is such a huge city, and I had to be okay with exploring an area and getting completely lost. It's just inevitable when you don't know a place that well. Waking up each day throwing myself into that kind of independence and the slight panic of constantly being lost...it threw me.

It was a hard few days at first. Not being used to being alone in a huge city, and I just kind of threw myself into that situation and there was definitely an adjustment period.

I really wanted to love traveling alone, I did. But I didn't. And that's not to say I can't, or won't ever love it. Maybe I just need more time with it...once I am in London and day to day being alone I will become more accustomed to it and my outlook will change.

For now, though, I think I'd like to travel with a friend or a small group. I realize I need that human interaction and someone to experience things with when I travel. This didn't come as a huge surprise to me as I knew this before I left, but being in London alone tested that theory for me and I came out the other side having learned that okay, this is more along the lines of what I personally enjoy when I travel.

All in all though, I'm glad I did it. Hearing over and over again how women should travel alone, at least once in their life, I'm glad I finally did it. It was scary, but it prepared me more for the move in September. Now the move is just a little less scary and intimidating for me.

So, for now I don't think I'll be jetting around the world solo as of yet. But maybe in the future, who knows?

Have you ever traveled solo? What was your experience with it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment