Saturday, August 16, 2014

Two

After my previous attempt at going to England for the long haul failed, I was determined to keep at it and keep trying. I was in the process of transferring to a new school which meant new opportunities and hopefully another chance to be in England.

I put the energy I would have used to go abroad for a semester to pack up my dorm and move back home for 3 months, and then pack everything up and move my entire life from Florida to Rhode Island. 

Having looked into my current school's study abroad program, they offered quite a few month long summer programs and only a few exchanges. The did offer a month long program to England and Scotland, with about a week long stint in London but it was for a different major than mine. Besides, a week in London wasn't what I wanted. I had been on short term programs abroad, I knew I was looking for something more long term such as an exchange. 

So I turned my attention to the exchanges. They only offered one exchange to England and it was in Leeds. Worse, they only allowed 2 students per year to go on an exchange there. I knew I didn't want to participate because it wasn't in London, but the 2 students per year was the kicker for me. I knew with my GPA I wouldn't even be considered. Those who are considered must have had a 4.0 and all of the extracurricular activities in the world to even have a chance, so I didn't even bother.

I was pretty disappointed. I was counting on this opportunity to get me to London long term and it wasn't going to happen. I started up with classes, and dealing with the pace of the trimester system my school has and worked my way through the next few months of classes. A few months after that I had heard that in your senior year, students could do a senior internship abroad for class credit.

Once I heard that, I knew I had to look into it. Another chance to get to London had presented itself and I was hopeful once again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment