Monday, September 29, 2014

The wait begins...

So I'm very excited to say that I have submitted my application to the University of Westminster! My current school will be sending out my transcripts over to the UK tomorrow, so now I just have to wait. I don't have anything to do now but wait which is kind of frustrating. I have no application to throw my focus into, to keep me busy. Now it's just...time. I'm going to try not to check the status of my application every single day (even though I know I will be notified when they make a decision by e-mail), and I'm going to try to keep positive and keep thinking that I will get in, not if I get in. I'll be very happy when the day comes that I won't have to say 'if' or 'when' anymore, but now it's just this weird limbo of not knowing anything.

It's weird...thinking about how I ended up here. I like to think that some things in life are fate or destiny, especially when it is a huge decision that can impact the rest of your life. While out with family yesterday, we started talking about our first few years in college, and spending it at a community college instead of a university. It was because of the community college I attended that I was able to go to London when I was 20. I could never have imagined almost 5 years later that I would have just submitted my application to attending graduate school there. I had no idea the journey that that trip abroad was about to take me on. I definitely consider that trip a turning point for me; it completely changed my career aspirations, my educational aspirations and ultimately lead me here to the biggest aspiration I have ever tried to achieve in my life.

Many times in the past, (and probably a few more in the future) I wish that things would be different. Living in Florida, going to community college, transferring to a university, moving back to New England and transferring again were not easy by any means. It's definitely not the path that most people take. Many times I do wish I would have done things differently. However, it terms of London, perhaps it was the path I had to take to get here. The journey has not been a walk in the park, not by any stretch of the imagination. If I had not moved to Florida, I would not have gone to that community college, and I would not have gone to London and I would not be here today. I would not be studying something I am so passionate about, I would not be looking to live in London, and I would not have visited the countries that I have. So sometimes when I do wish things had happened differently, I just have to keep that in mind. Everything has happened to bring me to where I am now. And I don't think it's any sort of divine intervention, or deity or supreme being that got me here (living in the South for almost 10 years, I feel the need to say that). It has been a lot of hard work, determination, disappointment, tears, and fear that got me here. At the end of the day, it was me and my need to never lose sight of what I ultimately want my life to be, and to accept the journey and that hard work that had to go into it.

The research has been done, the application filled out, the personal statement written. Now we see if my hard work pays off, and if London is going to be a large part of my life after all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment