Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Santorini


Image via here

Greece, specifically Santorini, is the place I am without a doubt dying to go to the most during my time in London. I've been dying to go to Greece for so long (I feel like I say this about every destination, but it's true) and being in rainy, cloudy London would provide the perfect opportunity to jet off to sunny Greece for a few days.

One reason I like Greece so much is that it is an explorers paradise. It is pretty much a given at some point that you will get lost and that is very appealing to me. The maze of street and alleyways almost guarantees you will get lost at some point, no matter how good your map is. I find when you lose the map and have the goal to get lost, you usually discover the best spots and create unforgettable experiences. 

Another reason Greece is at the top of my list is, of course, the incredible views from the cliffs overlooking the sea. I always feel at home by the sea, so a place like Greece that provides such breathtaking views is a must go to destination for me.

Another reason Santorini is a must do for me are the colors. The blue hues of the water, the stark white buildings, the grey stone streets weaving their way through the cliffside, the way the red and pink colors of the flowers seem to be much brighter than normal as if the colors were digitally enhanced...Greece makes me appreciate the colors of the world more so than even before. If a destination can make you appreciate even the most seemingly insignificant things, even ones that you never really appreciated before, it is definitely an enchanting place to visit.

I would target my trip to Greece in late April or May, while the weather is good, but not overly hot, like it would be in the summer months. Also, going at this time I feel I would avoid the hoards of tourists that flock to the island over the 12 weeks of summer.

While on other trips I would try to keep accommodation as a cheap as I could, the accommodation in Greece is something I would want to splurge on. I wouldn't mind at all paying a bit more for a hotel with an incredible view overlooking the sea where I could watch the sunset every night. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment