Thursday, July 31, 2014

Application anxiety

I mentioned in my last post that I've already started the application process to grad school. Well, I'm about 1/3 of the way through it already.

Having to start the application process now was much sooner than I expected. I was expecting to apply later in the year, maybe in October or November. After talking to an advisor, I decided to start early for a few reasons:
  • Starting early means no application fee
  • The earlier I start the application and submit it, the earlier I'll know if I've been accepted
  • If I receive an offer from the school, I can then start applying for scholarships (many scholarships require an offer from a school to apply)
Starting the application so much earlier was, and still is, daunting. It was so weird starting it, because up until that point I would think when I apply and all of a sudden it was happening and I hadn't expected to apply for several months. 

Going through the process of applying is scary. Every time I complete a section, it's one step closer to being done, so I think if it as a tiny victory, in a way. It is anxiety inducing, though. I just want to put in the right information and don't want to leave anything important out. I just want it to be perfect.

Right now, however I'm a bit stuck on the process. Trying to fill out my school information (high school and college) is proving to be a challenge. You would think it would be simple, just filling in your information, but it isn't. I don't understand what they're asking for. They are asking for my 'award level' and 'award title' in college. What does that even mean? Is award level like a GPA? I don't know. Luckily I have a few people I can ask to clarify on the issue, and once I get it sorted out I can feel like I'm finally over this little anxiety inducing speed bump.

The next big hurdle? The personal statement!

-Susie

0 comments:

Post a Comment